120 Gallon Dutch color contrast version 3.0

The design and arrangement of plants, animals and other components of the aquarium

Moderator: Roger Miller

120 Gallon Dutch color contrast version 3.0

Postby plantbrain » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Redid the hardscape and redid some of the species, still the same intense Dutch like contrast.
Better perspective given the shape of the tank than the last piece I had in there.
Still a few more things yet to change around.

plantbrain

Re: 120 Gallon Dutch color contrast version 3.0

Postby plantbrain » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Some changes and I have a theme in mind later.
Rotala Sunset, Erio Compressum, and Ludwigia sphaerocarpa are all nice native USA plants that have recently come into the hobby via the work of fellow hobbyist.
Highlighting these species will be pretty much the central region of this tank.

I have to move a couple of things and wait for the plants to grow in some more.
I'll also be adding as row of Syngonanthus uaupes in the front and hack back some of the UG.
I can move the Tonina to the rear section somewhere and add the Erio compressum there, or maybe Erio setaceum type 3, we will see. Depends if I can get good growth form from the Erio compressum.
I might move the Tonina back to the far Right where it was before and then scratch the Syngonathus "madeira".
I also have Hydrocotyle verticillata I may work in somewhere.

Another native I've never seen in aquarium other than one book is P. americana, a nice little grass like fern. I have to wait till spring to hunt for it. It's local for me. So that's 5 months away.
Some groups need to grow out, some need added still, but the overall color and contrast is coming together.

plantbrain

Re: 120 Gallon Dutch color contrast version 3.0

Postby plantbrain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:49 pm

E. hydropiper is growing in after much replanting, the top sloped part is still getting uprooted by the elephant noses and shrimp. The soil is new and is lighter up in that section.

Blood vomits are doing well, and time to split a few already.

I need to find a better home of the S. uraupes and lago grade.
I'll likely switch the UG with them and then move them back somewheres.

A few other minor changes I suppose.

E hydropiper is a PITA to get a larger decent rug if you have fish.
I have ample Belem grass and Monte carlo as well as HC if need be.
It grows, but fish go after it. It roots deeper than HC etc also, so it's weird to me.

Speaking of which, I now have 100 Rasbora kubotai green neon.
Very nice fish, does not leap to it's death, but does not contrast well in this tank, so it might end up over in the 70 Gallon Buce tank. Nice fish though.

I drilled some more holes in the wood and will add some more Mini pellia in those spots.
The tops of the wood are coming along well with this liverwort.
plantbrain

Return to Aquascaping