Cyanobacteria algae

Moderator: cul8rg8r

Cyanobacteria algae

Postby Bigbongo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 am

Hi,
My aquarium develop the cyanobacteria very often. I usually fight it with Erithromicin and within 3 days the algae has been removed, however it always came back.
Somebody have a good article regarding this? why is coming back?
Thank you in advance.
Adrian
Bigbongo

Re: Cyanobacteria algae

Postby Karen Randall » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:35 am

It is a really bad idea to repeatedly treat BGA with antibiotics. Not only do you eventually create a strain of antibiotic-resistant BGA for yourself, but you run the risk of creating other, worse antibiotic resistant organisms in your aquarium as well.

BGA is often caused by an imbalance between the nitrate and phosphate available in your tank, typically, too much phosphate is available. Try increasing your nitrate to maintain a ratio of 10 parts nitrate to 1 part phosphate. At the same time, make sure there is plenty of water circulation (not turbulence) because BGA also tends to collect in areas where there is little water circulation.
Karen Randall

Postby Bigbongo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Thank you Karen for your quick answer.
I agree in adding more quimicals to the woter, however since my tank develop BGA I couldn't find any other answer like yours. I am able to check the Nitrite ppm but I don't know how to check the phosphate without the test eq. I can check Ph, Gh & Gh. I guess that this will be my next purchase, doesn't it?
Thank you any way,
Adrian
Bigbongo

Postby Karen Randall » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:50 am

Yes, once you're tank is stable, you may find that you don't use your test kits much. But when you are having a problem, you REALLY need to have nitrate, phosphate, pH, KH, GH test kits at the minimum. (ammonia and nitrite too if it's a start-up tank)
Karen Randall

Postby Bigbongo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi Karen, I descovered that there are pads that remove and balance the water. I already remove all the debries from the last chimical intervension, I changed almost 50% of the water in the past 3days and finally added the pad that I mension before. If this process work I will be very happy. The phosphate test the store has is the one made from API and the sale rep . reccomend to avoid it because is not very clear the reaction of the test. Cheaper was the pad so lets see how it works. Thank you for your help and I will keep u posted in this regards.
Adrian
Bigbongo

I had been sceptical of "Bacteria in a Bottle"Products until

Postby Barrylodwick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:29 am

I had been skeptical of "Bacteria in a Bottle" Products until I was having Cyanobacteria problems in only one of my Tanks.I decided to try Dr. Tim's Aquatics "Waste Away"(Freshwater version, of course), coupled with a 30%WC cleared it up within a couple of Days.Now I use it as part of regular Maintenance on all of My Tanks. 8oz. bottle on-line at Drs Foster&Sith for~$17,lasts me 60-90 days, Also seems to do as advertised less Filter maintenance, to a slight degree.posting.php?mode=reply&f=24&t=1599#
Barrylodwick

Return to Algae Alley