"making water"

Test kits, dosing, visual signs, nutrient deficiencies...

Moderator: Paula Hofmann

"making water"

Postby aldicks » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:21 am

Hello All after trying it many ways,I am about to just make my own water from RO. It is more trouble but my water from a well has a fairly lowish TDS of 245,not particularly high GH or KH but a PH of 8. When I blend out 25% well water with my RO water ( I have a storage tank),all I get is low tds,low GH ,fairly low KH and the that PH of near 8..so that does not work very well. Adding acid modifyers is not particularly controlable either. So do many/any of you make water using ice melter,epsom salts ,baking soda etc as was written about in a fairly recent article in the association publication..or does it not work so well either.I do not think that i would add the chemicals to the tank as reccommended in the article..I have some expensive fish that I don't want to stress.

Thanks Al
aldicks

Re: "making water"

Postby shieber » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:14 am

I don't understand what your problem is. YOur TDS is low and yo think that's bad for plants? Chekc out the the Fertilizer manual on the AGA website (Greg Watson's Guide to Dosing Strategies) -- it's in the bookstore there.

That's has all the basics you need about feeding plants.

If all you want to do is lower pH, the best think you can do is add CO2 -- that will help plant gorwth more than anything else, provided, of course yo fed them appropriately.

If your issue if fish, you'd do better to seek a forum for the type of fish you want to keep -- although a great many are much less fussy than you might think.
Scott H.
shieber

Postby Diana » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Kinda long time to wait for an answer, but try filtering your tap water through peat moss. Sometimes this helps and sometimes not.

My tap water is a lot like yours: GH and KH around 4-5 degrees, but pH in the upper 7s to low 8s. The water company adds sodium hydroxide to keep the water basic. TDS usually is over 250 but under 300.
When I fill a garbage can with tap water, add a knee-hi stocking of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss the pH comes out pretty close to neutral, but I cannot see any test difference in the GH and KH. (My test kits are old, may not be responding any more).
Yes, this tints the water with tannins.

You can test the idea like this:
Put a few gallons of tap water in a 5 gallon bucket and a handful or two of peat moss. Test before you start, at the end of a day, and couple of days later. Test with all the tests you are interested in, but particularly GH, KH, TDS and pH.
If you see the results you like, you can try to make a bigger batch if you have larger tanks.
Not all peat moss reacts the same, so this may or may not help, and if you buy another bag of peat moss it may or may not do the same thing. Run some tests to make sure.
I have one bale of peat moss I bought a few years ago, it does not take much, and the one knee-hi stocking of peat moss is reusable for several garbage cans of water (just gotta soak it a bit longer).
21 aquariums, over 600 gallons of water to keep clean and fresh.
Diana

Postby Lass09 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Have you got success in this experiment?
I am eager to know. Please reply.
Lass09

Return to Fertilizers and Water Chemistry