Saltwater Walstad?

"For those who wished to find the answers to their questions by doing some experiments." - Paul K

Re: Saltwater Walstad?

Postby Erica Wieser » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Current picture: http://gallery.nanfa.org/d/45829-3/still+photo.JPG
still photo resize.jpg
still photo resize.jpg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 33267 times

It's not very aquascaped. My original tank design, below:
75 gallon tank mound ground_resize.png
75 gallon tank mound ground_resize.png (39.26 KiB) Viewed 33267 times

isn't really working. The caulerpa prolifera grows too high, the sargassum doesn't thrive, and the red isn't noticeable because the rock work all turned purple, too. Hmm. I'm going to have to think about this. I'm not very good at aquascaping, though.
Erica Wieser

Postby Erica Wieser » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:21 pm

The mandarinfish spawned :)
I wasn't paying attention so I just saw a few floating eggs the next morning. I scooped them out and put them in the fry tank. Maybe they will spawn again :)
Erica Wieser

Postby Erica Wieser » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 am

There is only one survivor from the first batch of seahorses, so I ordered 50 more. The tank now looks like an overgrown vallisneria jungle. The pair of mandarinfish are fat and happy. I killed their first batch of fry accidentally by going away on vacation. While I was gone the filter stopped flowing on the fry tank and algae scum covered the surface. I've fixed the problem so now hopefully when they next spawn, the fry will have air. But for some reason the fry tank is really really cold. I don't understand what's wrong with my heaters; two 300 watt heaters in a 75 gallon tank should be plenty. It's annoying that they don't work as advertised, but I guess that's what I get for buying them cheap. Only 3/5 of them work. Wah wah waaaah.

Pictures soon, when the new seahorses arrive. I think the increased stocking density will help them learn to eat microworms easier. The one survivor from the first batch of seahorses who is still alive now readily eats microworms. If only the others could have figured that out. Wild caught fish can be more prone to dying than captive bred ones because of internal parasites, so I'm ordering this next batch of seahorses from a different vendor and hopefully from a healthier area. All I need is for a few of them to survive to get a breeding colony going.
Erica Wieser

Postby Erica Wieser » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Attempt #2 at breeding seahorses!
http://youtu.be/uXeHNY2kKBU

woo. This batch is getting microworms twice a day if not more. Stupid seahorses.
Erica Wieser

Postby Erica Wieser » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Here's a video of the female mandarinfish. She's fat and eating microworms readily :)
http://youtu.be/Xbgl6HChca4
This planted saltwater tank is pretty nice. I've never done a water change, ever. I like it.

Also, here is a video of a seahorse having an adventure: http://youtu.be/ppOte9qOb9M
Erica Wieser

Postby Erica Wieser » Fri May 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Update:
The seahorses all died when I treated the tank with levamisole hydrochloride in an attempt to kill the hydroids that the seahorses brought in with them. I was extremely shocked; the levamisole hydrochloride is usually very fish safe (even the scaleless mandarinfish were fine) (even the HYDROIDS were fine). So that sucked. On top of that, all the copepods and rotifers died. :(

I bought a pound of brine shrimp cysts (eggs) to keep the mandarinfish fed in the interim while the copepods can get seeded from the bottom tank and breed back up. The wrong product was sent to me so I had to sent it back and order it again, and in the meanwhile the mandarinfish lost some weight :(

Finally, now, I have a pound of brine shrimp cysts, a pound of spirulina algae, and hopefully the mandarinfish will gain some weight back. I've aquascaped the tank a little but you can't tell because the water's green from spirulina powder for the brine shrimp. *sighs* It's like one problem after another. *shrugs*
Erica Wieser

Postby Erica Wieser » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I sold the mandarinfish and broke down the tank. It just was too depressing to not have any baby fish. I don't keep fish species that aren't breeding. They start making babies, or they get out. No babies in a year means I break down the tank and dry a different breeding setup. It's just a personal thing for me. But it was nice to have mandarinfish that were such low effort like that. They're not hard fish to keep if you have a lot of copepods breeding in there. The caulerpa prolifera was definitely a success. And it was good to discover that they will eat microworms. I don't think anyone else in the saltwater world is feeding them that. They should; it works.

I figured out why I kept getting algae. I'll quote a post from my new topic, which talks about this tank now that it's set up for Elassoma gilberti.

"Each 75 gallon tank had four 54 watt, 4,000 lumen each bulbs, two 32 watt T8s (2750 lumens each). Total was 21500 lumens over 75 gallons = 286 lumens per gallon. You know how I'm always recommending 100 to 200 lumens per gallon to everybody? Those tanks are the reason I have the upper cap. I grew all manner of algae. It was pretty algae, but yeah, algae. That's back when my tank was saltwater, where one 75 had a breeding pair of synchiropus splendidus and the bottom 75 was for the fry they never produced *sighs*. When I switched it to fresh for this neolamprologus multifasciatus Tanganyikan and elassoma gilberti setup, I swtched the lights. Now they are:

T8 setup: Four 2750 lumen Daylight Deluxe T8 bulbs, 32 watts each. Total is 11,000 lumens over 75 gallons = 147 lumens per gallon. The plants grow beeeaaautifully and I don't have algae. I've got the lights on a timer for three hours before work and five when I get home, and it's like finally, finally I got the lighting right. This 150 lumens per gallon setup is the best tank I've had for growing plants but not algae. yay"

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/ ... ge__st__20
Erica Wieser

Postby plantbrain » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:16 am

Read some of my and Sam's post on the RC forums.

You can easily do a no water change Reef or marine plant tank and obviously no CO2.
I would used well mineralized soil for the DBS, but this is not needed really and better to add KNo3 etc over the long haul to top off any N needs for the plants.
Better to be under and top off, than to be over with the bioload or sediment source.
plantbrain

Previous

Return to Experiments