I am new and will need a LOT of help.

Beginners, here is where to go...

Moderator: Ben Belton

I am new and will need a LOT of help.

Postby Shahlvah » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Hello to all. I am new in the planted aquarium business. I have 4 tanks in my house and the one I want to start with natural plants is my 240 gallon. It is 8 X 2 X 2. It is of course fresh water and now is housing discus, philipine blue angels, damasonies, and several schools of tetras (diamonds, black neons, glow light, cardinal, glow eyes to name few.) I have the cleaning crew, a nice school of cories julii, some fancy plecos (L246 queen arabesca), 3 clown loaches and 3 estriated loaches. some nerite snails and God only knows how many crystal and amano shrimp...they keep having babies.
Well, In this tank I started with ceramic coated silica sand, and my first question is if I can use this sand to plant the aquarium. I have drift wood and Colorado river rock also. I have been buying little by little my CO2 equipment, so, so far I have a 20 liter tank (it just came available at an incredible price and I couldn't resist...)that is all I have so far....
I am in love with some of the AMANO designs and my tank shows beautifully. I know this is an insult but as of today I only have plastic plants. :oops:
I want to do the transition.
So let's start with the substrate.....can I use what I have (the silica sand), or mix it? or do I have to take it all out and replace it for something else?
Please advise.

I appreciate from the bottom of my heart your advise.
I want to give my babies the best place ever to live.
Thank you
Shahlvah

Re: I am new and will need a LOT of help.

Postby jerrybforl » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 pm

You should really try to get a substrate. Sand is used more as an aesthetic tool. I wouldn't use sand to plant a whole tank.
jerrybforl

Re: I am new and will need a LOT of help.

Postby RX16LA » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Shahlvah wrote:Hello to all. I am new in the planted aquarium business. I have 4 tanks in my house and the one I want to start with natural plants is my 240 gallon. It is 8 X 2 X 2. It is of course fresh water and now is housing discus, philipine blue angels, damasonies, and several schools of tetras (diamonds, black neons, glow light, cardinal, glow eyes to name few.) I have the cleaning crew, a nice school of cories julii, some fancy plecos (L246 queen arabesca), 3 clown loaches and 3 estriated loaches. some nerite snails and God only knows how many crystal and amano shrimp...they keep having babies.
Well, In this tank I started with ceramic coated silica sand, and my first question is if I can use this sand to plant the aquarium. I have drift wood and Colorado river rock also. I have been buying little by little my CO2 equipment, so, so far I have a 20 liter tank (it just came available at an incredible price and I couldn't resist...)that is all I have so far....
I am in love with some of the AMANO designs and my tank shows beautifully. I know this is an insult but as of today I only have plastic plants. :oops:
I want to do the transition.
So let's start with the substrate.....can I use what I have (the silica sand), or mix it? or do I have to take it all out and replace it for something else?
Please advise.

I appreciate from the bottom of my heart your advise.
I want to give my babies the best place ever to live.
Thank you

Did you end up replacing the sand? I hope it turned out good for you.
RX16LA

Return to Getting Started with Planted Aquaria