NACS, what is it and what does it do?

Moderator: SCMurphy

NACS, what is it and what does it do?

Postby SCMurphy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:10 am

Well, here is where we will be forming the structure of the society. It is currently based on the ECS model which is one of very little infrastructure. They hold in a single weekend what my local club (GWAPA) does in an entire year of meetings. They had talks both nights and two field trips on Saturday, they do not hold a plant auction because the society does not need any capital to function. Meetings are arraigned by a volunteer and everyone pays for a portion of the space used. With all the meeetings we have going on here in the US I'm not sure what we would do to hold one ourselves, but on the heels of the AGA convention that discussion can wait.

SO, your assignment in this thread is to state:

What you want the NACS to be or do.

How you think it could be done.

What are you willing to do to make this happen.

Ready, Set, Go!
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

That IS an aquascape, it's titled THE VACANT LOT.
SCMurphy

Re: NACS, what is it and what does it do?

Postby AaronT » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:32 pm

I like the appeal of having everything be a free exchange of plants between members with the understanding that the receiving member will maintain locality information and share their observations and suggestions for growing each Crypt they maintain. Also, it would be understood that one is to 'pay it forward' so to speak. i.e. to trade or simply share with other hobbyists in the group; especially newer members just getting started.

In addition to the listings Sean had us make of plants we currently keep, we could also maintain a thread listing species we currently are seeking or have available to others.

Right now I'm thinking short term and I'm working on tearing down my shrimp farm to create a shelf solely for emersed culture on my rack of tanks. I live in an apartment currently so space is limited and I decided I just love plants more than fauna. :)
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association! www.gwapa.org
AaronT

Postby ruki » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:26 am

What you want the NACS to be or do
Sharing info on how to grow and ID various crypts, getting more varieties t- people by making easier to obtain.

Plant exchange and an online ID guide with pictures.

What are you willing to do to make this happen
Have a couple propagation tanks (immersed and emersed) for propagating them and sharing them with people in my area.
ruki

Postby SCMurphy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:12 am

I am just hoping for a bunch of friendly people with a similar interest to work together to cultivate and spread the interest in these neat plants. I'd like the NACS to be a repository of information for members to know:
who to get what from,
how to be successful in growing them, and
what questions could researched by them.

The ECS operates without any officers or structure. It is pretty much run as a group of elders guiding the youngsters. Since they only meet once a year it works. For now it seems like we should operate as a internet forum with people taking the lead (volunteering) for any specific projects that come up. I volunteered to get some plants and moderate the forum. Who wants to suggest something that needs to be done and how and take it on? Ideas might include creating the NACS database of members and plants, working out ideas about an NACS in person swap, NACS meetings, website, plant guide, (not infringing on Jan's or others), etc.

Keep bringing in plants from Europe with locality data, work at identifying the plants I have, experimenting in growth needs and techniques, maintaining a high energy level when talking about crypts.
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

That IS an aquascape, it's titled THE VACANT LOT.
SCMurphy

Postby Purrbox » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:37 pm

What you want the NACS to be or do?
1. First and foremost I would like NACS to be a source of information on how to sucessfully grow all kinds of crypts and how to properly identify crypts. Eventually I would like to see this information available in an online database.
2. Second I would like to see NACS provide a means of sharing crypts of all varieties.

How you think it could be done?
1. Members would need to submit information about specific crypts as well as articles containing more general information about crypts. In addition it would be helpful to identify and provide a listing of existing resources that are available elsewhere.
2. We've already started this with new members listing the crypts that they already have in their posession. The next step would be to start listing the crypts that people are either looking for or have available to share with other members.

What are you willing to do to make this happen?
1. Depending on how we decide to organize the data, I may be able to lend my skills to help with the programming. Further I would be happy to write articles as I gain more experience with sucessfully keeping crypts.
2. I would definately share the crypts that I've been sucessful at propagating with other members. I am also planning on making sure that I maintain any of the extra information about the crypts that I receive.
Purrbox

Return to North American Cryptocoryne Society