Larger scale Crypt sediment testing

Moderator: SCMurphy

Larger scale Crypt sediment testing

Postby plantbrain » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:25 am

Well, spring is now here and I have many coffins, 300 gallon tubs with well water continuously flowing out at my lab. I have plenty of space and am stuck out here most days and through the summer till Oct.

I can get about 60 x 6" pots in each coffin and will likely use 2 coffins for the project.

These are much like Gasser's old set up in FL.
I've ordered some nice stock from FL and from SG for this.
I also am doing a Echinodorus berteroi test for sediments if I can get some seeds. It's a weed sometimes out in the Rice fields but it is only native to very limited natural range in CA.

I have several soil and sediment options.
I have little room for Crypts at home, however, there is a great deal of room at the lab and lots of test equipment and other options. We have plant extractable P and N methods, free pore water N and P methods, Metal availability, dry weight analysis, all sorts of fun stuff.

I have a lot more leeway there starting this spring to do whatever I want.
Looking forward to it!

For light control, I have a PAR meter and various types of shade cloths as well as other weedy plant species. Note, plants and non plant light blockage is different, plants can tell if they are being sdahed by another plant vs a rock of piece of wood.

I have plenty of ADA aqua soil. It does quite well.
We have 12 different soil types.

I know I'll be growing C aponogetiifolia, C cordata group pink vein, usteriana, parva, green gecko and affinis.

The coffins are continuous over flow and I can adjust the levels inside them to any height for submersed and emersed set ups.

My place is small at home and I'm tired and trying to do anything test wise here.

I'm getting my own house this summer and want to add larger tanks, but they will be specific scapes, not garden/farms.

So the lab will be a good place to work from and hopefully continue doing so as I may have grant money for another 2-3 years after this for post doc work in restoration.

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain

Return to North American Cryptocoryne Society