Emersed setup and a few of my plants

Moderator: SCMurphy

Emersed setup and a few of my plants

Postby andrew__ » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi, just joined today, pretty new to crypts (I've only had fish for about a year +/- a week) but I've managed a fairly decent collection of hard water crypts. Still trying to figure these guys out before I move onto more challenging varieties.

I don't have a picture of my tank with my submersed crypts (and I'm currently fighting several types of algae) so I'll just post pictures of my emersed setup and plants.

My setup is a 15 gal with a mostly fitting glass top (humidity stays around 80%), plants are in flourite. I'm also using the tank to grow out a few other aquatics emersed, as well as some tillandsias that do well in the humidity and a fern I'm adapting for viv use.

My most recent crypt, C. pontederiifolia - the pink leaves are the growth that was on this plant when I got it, hoping I can mange the same in my own plants.

Here's a plant I was looking for an ID for at APC a few months ago, currently I'd say it is C. walkeri 'lutea' but that's still up in the air. Unfortunately it's taking it a long time to establish submersed, but I'm getting good growth emersed)

Here's another crypt I'm not sure the ID on, I bought it as C. willisii but it has been refusing to grow. I'm now leaning toward parva unless I can see some larger growth on my emersed plants or a flower.

And a very common crypt but I like the colour on it, C. wendtii var. green (or so it was sold)

Anyway, it's nice to be here and I hope to learn a lot about these plants here. :)
Kitchener-Waterloo Aquarium Society Member
New Crypt Collector
andrew__

Postby AaronT » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:58 am

It looks like you've got a nice little setup started there. I think that's pretty much how 80% of us have our setups.

I have willisii in my setup too and it took a long time to start spreading.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association! www.gwapa.org
AaronT

Postby Jerrytheplater » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Andrew

I like what you have posted.

How are you heating your emersed tank? What is your room temperature range?
Jerry Smith, Bloomingdale, NJ USA
Aquatic Gardeners Association member
http://www.njagc.net/
Jerrytheplater

Postby andrew__ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:54 pm

I don't have a heater in there however I do measure temperature and humidity and the air in the tank is typically around 22 degrees or so, not sure what my air temperature is usually (I'm currently in a basement apartment and my landlord upstairs has control over the thermostat) but it's likely around 20.
New Crypt Collector
andrew__

Postby DelawareJim » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 am

Andrew;

Welcome aboard. Your willissii looks like willissii to me. The newest leaf looks just like the ones I have which is known to be a correct ID.

Cheers.
Jim
DelawareJim

Postby andrew__ » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:17 am

That's good to know. Main reason I worried it wasn't was that I've had them since about May '07. They were tiny at that point though and to be fair they've doubled in size (or more). I've also seen a willisii plant which had most leaves looking similar to what I have with a few larger leaves looking more typically like willisii (upright larger leaves). The roots on all my plants of this types are getting huge compared to the size of the plants so hopefully that means I can expect some better growth soon.
New Crypt Collector
andrew__

Return to North American Cryptocoryne Society