Echinodorus 'Rose' weirdness

Discussion of individual species

Moderator: Cavan Allen

Echinodorus 'Rose' weirdness

Postby CherylR » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:46 pm

My 30-gallon tank has several species of Echinodorus, most of which are admittedly rather large for the space. I have an Echinodorus 'Rose' amongst them. In the past, I have attempted to control the size by trimming leaves, cutting roots, not fertilizing the substrate, etc.

This plant is defying my efforts. I'm scared.

The E. 'rose' is not producing new leaves from the center of the rosette. It's as though it's given up there. Instead, it is creating new plants all along its fleshy rhizome. This thing is thick, at least six inches long away from the mother plant, and an inch wide and deep. Suddenly it sprouts 20 leaves, and the mother plant stops growing.

Anyone else have this happen? Or is it completely normal and I'm a nube?

Cheryl
AGA President
CherylR
Site Admin

Postby shieber » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:53 am

Some Es generate secondary plants right at the base and some lay down a long base along the substrate and grow new plants from there. I've had Rubins that virtually walked asross my 150-gallon tank, albeit ever so slowly. I didn't know Rose or Orientale (I have a hard time telling them apart) would do the Echinodorus shuffle. What I have only makes the base-split plants and flower stalk plants.

Maybe it's all that salt you feed your plants ;-)

sh
Scott H.
shieber

Re: Echinodorus 'Rose' weirdness

Postby JeffLudwig » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:12 am

Heh, when Jeff Senske was up here doing Erin's tank he planted a lot of swords. I had ask him how he maintains those things in the long run. I haven't touched the things since I started in the hobby due to a bad run-in with their tankbusting properties. "Oh just trim them and they stay small, then they are very managable". Sure they are :) And to think I was considering swords once again - Now for sure I'm going to keep my anti-sword pro-cyperus agenda :)
JeffLudwig

Postby Phil Edwards » Mon May 01, 2006 3:48 am

I've had swords do the same thing for unknown reasons Cheryl. Maybe the just need to go walkabout sometimes. :)
Phil Edwards

Return to Plant Species